How the CHBA-NL Can Help
Whether you are renovating your existing home, looking to buy a home or building a new home, we have the professionals to help.
Here are three guidelines to keep in mind when undertaking any of the above:
- Always choose a CHBA-NL member professional, particularly those with designations (see below);
- Avoid resorting to the underground economy and paying cash (without a receipt) for any work done; and
- Get it in writing by drawing up a written, detailed contract for all work to be completed.
Choose a builder with Master Builder Certification. Builders with Certification will have this logo next to their name under Find a Member.
A Master Builder is operating at the highest standards the industry has to offer. The criteria for this provincial Certification is as follows:
- Two-year membership with the CHBA-NL
- In good standing with a recognized warranty program
- Five years of residential construction experience
- Letter of Solvency
- A recognized Quality Assurance Program
- COR Certification
- R-2000/ERS Certification
- Red Seal or journeyperson(s), engineer, CET, or architect on staff
- Annual professional development provided for staff
- Completion of recommended courses
Choose a renovator registered with the RenoMark Program. Renovators with this registration will have this logo next to their name under Find a Member.
A renovator registered with the nationally-recognized RenoMark Program demonstrates a voluntary commitment to professionalism and integrity in business dealings. The criteria for registration is as follows:
- Be a member in good standing of the CHBA-NL
- Abide by the CHBA-NL Code of Ethics
- Provide a detailed, written contract (including scope of work) for all jobs
- Offer a minimum two year warranty on all work (excludes minor home repair)
- Carry a minimum of $2 million liability insurance
- Have coverage for workplace safety and employers’ liability and/or work only with subcontractors who carry such coverage
- Carry applicable licenses and permits.
- Have access to information, education, training and professional development through membership in CHBA-NL
- Maintain a safe and organized worksite
- Return phone calls within two business days
Visit the NL RenoMark website!
Get It In Writing!
For a number of years, the Get it in Writing! campaign has provided homeowners with sound information on how to avoid risks when hiring a contractor for their home projects. The campaign was launched by the Canadian Home Builders’ Association (CHBA) to help consumers protect themselves from underground and fly-by-night contractors.
With the support of Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC), the Get it in Writing! campaign hosts information on their website, www.hiringacontractor.com. The site offers a wealth of good advice to help consumers do it right, with downloadable worksheets and information from both the CHBA and CMHC.
• Check out the “Get Informed” section to learn about contracts, workers’ compensation, permits, liens and other legal and contractual requirements.
• “Hire a Professional” outlines how to find and hire a renovator, including checklists and worksheets.
• “Underground Deals” highlights the risks to homeowners if they hire a contractor who wants to be paid in cash, and does not play by the rules.
• The downloadable Get it in Writing! brochure is a handy reference tool, and a reminder of the key steps to a renovation project done right.
Questions or feedback are always welcome: firstname.lastname@example.org